Monday, March 9, 2009

Letter to Michael Vick - 8/3/2007

Dear Michael Vick,

Is this what they do "down South"? Does it make it right? Did you know pit bull fighting is morally wrong? I don't think you do. What is this all about? What's the big deal, right?
Did you know pit bulls feel pain? Just because their strong and muscular doesn't mean they enjoy fighting until death. It takes a real coward to teach animals to fight for enjoyment. You will pay one way or another. I don't want you to go to jail or lose your job. You won't learn that way. I do think you should lose endorsements. You are a poor example of a talented athlete. Yes, there are African Americans that don't support this sick behavior. I'm one of them. I know you and your friends think you know all about pit bulls. I do too. I've had a pit bull over over 10 years. Have you ever loved a dog that long before? That's why I know they don't love to fight. You tell yourself that to justify this cruel behavior.
There's a reason you're facing jail and it's not just because you're black. Dog fighting is wrong. They fight each because they want to please their owners. You are taking advantage of their strength for your enjoyment. Not only are you participating in killing innocent dogs, you're breeding human killers. Did you know serial killers start out doing things like this and then move on to humans? Oh, do you know how hard it is for a pit bull to get adopted? With this coverage, even less may occur. So you see, you've killed a lot more dogs than you think.
Forget the courts, me, animal rights groups that you think are so extreme. Do you think God likes pit bull fighting? I'm sure you call yourself a Christian. Do you think God supports animal torture for fun? God gives you all this talent and money. Are you using it in the right way? Betting on the what pit bull will die first? Is this God's plan for you? Instead of leading other African American males to higher places, you're leading them to jail. You're rich enough for a good "defense". Your celebrity and money should keep you out of jail but what about your "friends?"
I was one of your biggest fans. You're so brillant on the football field but what about your character as a man? Whenever, the press didn't give you your much deserved praise for your work as Quarterback, I always spoke up and supported you. You have redefined the Quarterback position in the NFL. You are by far the best. How could you do this? You really let me and a lot of people down - way down. Honey, my pit bull, loves to watch you play football. She didn't know you torture animals for fun during the off season. You really let us ALL down.
Can you apologize and admit pit bull fighting is wrong? At least do that.
Your ex-fan.
Drina, a pit bull mother

No comments: